Wednesday, July 17, 2013

St. John's Pride Raises Gay & Trans Flags! 7/15/2013

My rocky relationship with the gay/lesbian community has been well documented. This week, I am taking steps towards attempting to mend fences and build new bridges. I will still stand firm with my concerns about how gay and trans issues are not the same, and that gay's should not always be the ones speaking for trans people,. but at the very least, developing good rapport is the first step towards finding a balance that will maximize the potentials that do exist from working together, and will help turn gays and lesbians into better trans allies.  It was an honour to have been asked to provide the trans flag that was raised together with the gay rainbow flag. It was also really nice to meet up with and chat with several prominent members of the LGBT and political communities.


Me with Susan Rose of Egale Canada


Me with St. John's Mayor Dennis O'Keefe

 both flags prepare to be raised

 the trans flag flies proud!

 CBC captures me recording the proceedings!

CBC was kind enough to interview me about the importance and historic nature of the trans flag, and to also comment on my run for city council.


No comments: