Saturday, January 19, 2013

McCreath meets Republic of Doyle's Krystin Pellerin

While I do not consider myself to be much of a television drama fan, over the years, I have come to be a regular viewer of CBC's Republic of Doyle. This crime/drama/comedy is filmed and produced in my home of St. John's, Newfoundland, and features mostly Newfoundland actors. In addition, this show has been specifically close to my heart because the star of the show, Allan Hawco, is married to the television journalist who  helped put me on the map, in terms of making me a respected public figure.

Well, almost immediately after watching the first few episodes, I became infatuated with character Sgt. Leslie Bennett, a very business-like police officer who often struggles to deal with private investigator Jake Doyle's interference in police matters. She also struggles to fight her impulsive romantic attractions to Doyle.

I have never been shy about my infatuation with this character. In May 2012, while doing an extensive interview for The Telegram newspaper's biographical feature, 20 questions, when asked about my most 'vivid dream', I jokingly made an insinuation that it involved sexual activity with Sgt. Bennett! 

Well, the woman behind this character is truly an amazing person. Krystin Pellerin, a local actor, is also deeply involved with various community activities, and is also an aspiring musician.  Earlier this week, she was emcee and host of a banquet entitled Ovations (an event which I will blog extensively about, later this weekend), that was organized by the Provincial Government to commemorate achievements of Newfoundland women. After the event was over, Krystin and I had the opportunity to have a little chat and pose for a few pics. She seemed equally as excited to meet me as I was to meet her. I was pleased that she seemed to know much about me and my various stories of struggle to find societal acceptance. 

Rubbing shoulders with celebrities is always fun, but it can be extremely gratifying when they know who I am, and appear to have a strong level of respect for me.

So today, I write to promote the show! Republic of Doyle airs Sunday nights on CBC, now in its 4th season.



No comments: