Thursday, March 15, 2012

March 15, 2012 - Why I really did those TV and Radio spots yesterday

It seems sad that it is politically incorrect for most folks who are deeply involved and engaged with the St. John's LGBT community, to recognize the good things I do, rather than just the bad.

I guess i'm just one of those people who many love to hate and pin blame on.  I agree that I have many personality traits that make me a good villan. I am slick, savvy, crafty, cunning, and even ruthless, at times.  I also spit in the face of systemic and societal norms. I'm also bold, flamboyant, charismatic, confident, conceited and even narcissistic at times! heck, I've been told that I would make a great politician.. lol

While 6 people put their name on St. John's Pride Inc,. and did one heck of a lot of great work over the past 18 months, none of the good work got recognized, and Jennifer McCreath got critisized for 'stealing and ruining Pride'.  The other 5 are never even mentioned or on anyone's radar.
Well, if there's a perception that I am a power-hungry dictator, then they called my bluff, and I answered it, by stepping down from the Pride Board.  I feel this was a true demonstration of my leadership. people were so shocked to realize that I really was a kind-hearted altruistic person, that they were totally caught off guard and were now stuck like a deer in the headlights.

Well, I may not own the car anymore, but I still have my hand on the steering wheel. I knew I needed to find a way to get people talking. while I knew my tv and radio interviews would enrage certain folks, I also knew it would break down many of the communication barriers that were hurting Pride's ability to grow, and hurting my ability to get the positive credibility and recognition that I knew I rightfully earned and deserved.

Well, not only has this gotten many gays and lesbians to reach out to me to chat, but it has also brought some of the other trans people out of hiding and jumping into the conversation. seems to be a win win situation! My 2012 growth and development strategy for Pride is working perfectly. yes, I can and will take credit for this masterful plan.

People might not realize this, but I am now free and in control. I can and I will get the trans community the attention, respect, and equal playing-field, for Pride, that I knew it could attain. 

While stabbing people in the back may often lead to short-term success, stabbing yourself in the chest can be a perfect way to get people to not only pay attention to you, but doing exactly what you want them to do.  Manipulating? sure. Reverse psychology in there? Yes indeed. Mainstream media? Even though you screwed up many of the facts, and reported quite a bit of misinformation, you were still the perfect pawns in my game of chess, and I hope the game was as good for you as it was for me! 

Do I really feel that the Ts need to completely segregate themselves from the LGBs? No, not completely. In some ways yes, but in some ways, absolutely not. We need to stay together on certain things.

Ultimately, we now seem to have everyone on the same page.  We also have people realizing that I am, and always have been, a very important part of this community.  While I never really did steal or ruin Pride, I know that finally now, it really is mine, as much as it is anyone elses! 

Mission accomplished!

Jenn

No comments: