Monday, May 23, 2011

Out of shape Newfoundlander runs 3 marathons in 14 days!

cross-posted from my report on runningroom.com:


Well, with a grand total of maybe 3 or 4 long runs in 6 months, running any marathon was probably going to be a challenge. having just recently recovered from surgery in late January (genital surgery no less), I was forced to take it easy for a while. as I rested, gained even more weight. Tipping the scales at 220 pounds, I ventured out to Fredericton, Mississauga, and Halifax on three consecutive weekends.

I ran Fredericton last year and found it to be a really nice town with a lovely marathon course that was fairly flat. I wasn't going to run it this year, but when I saw a seat sale, and when I started to become really close friends with a fellow transwoman from south eastern new brunswick, I had the excuse to book the extra trip!

The day started out cool but ended up hot (20 degrees and sunny). Having recently struggled through the Georgia marathon on March 20, I knew I could do it, even in this brutal shape, but I also knew it would be tough. As an added handicap, I knew that I would have to save enough for the next two weekends, the knees really started to get sore early on in this marathon, and that limited my ability to run fast. in the end, that was probably a good thing, as I was forced to run slow enough that i didn't really burn out or hit the wall. 5.29.22 put me a little faster than georgia, so i was at least able to take something positive from that. Added to this was the fact that I entered this race totally emotionally exhausted and stressed out from a very busy week.

Anyway, onto Mississauga the next weekend, where i felt great. I ran into a friend from california at the start, and we decided to run together for a while. I ended up running 10k with him, and did so at a faster pace than i should have. I ended up slowing down later into the race, but still managed to score a 5.05.27 - putting my fairly closer to what was my insane A-goal (4.57).

After 7 days of no running, the knees and immune system had healed up a little, but nowhere near where they need to be for a top quality athletic performance. I started Halifax strong but at 26k, my knees seize up to the point where I could barely move. After a strong 2.22 on the front half, I found myself slowed to a very light limp. the pain I had to suffer to finish Halifax was among the most intence pain in my entire life. While running a 5.15.35 was a disappointment, I can feel pleased that at this weight, I was still able to do 3 runs in 3 weekends in 3 different provinces!

Anyway, this was actually a great confidence booster. If I can run 5 hr marathons overweight, under-trained, and on bad knees, just imagine what I could do in 3 month with 30 pounds off and a ton of training in the books!

Jennifer

No comments: