Wednesday, April 20, 2011

April 20, 2011 - Love4Gambia - The Halifax Marathon

On May 22, 2011, I will run my 29th career marathon, (which will be my third consecutive Halifax Bluenose Marathon, and my third marathon in as many weekends). Not only will this be a homecoming run for me, it will be the first time I have run a marathon as part of a Registered Charity.


Erin Poirier is a near-elite level distance runner. She is a three-time Boston Marathon finisher. She is also a registered nurse who works at Prince Andrew High School in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. Erin is also the adult advisor for the school's Gay/Straight Alliance (GSA) group. Last year, Erin reached out to me and invited me to speak to the entire high school for an LGBT-awareness event. She also invited me to meet with the GSA group for a special brunch.


Erin is also on the Board of Directors for a Federally-registered charitable organization, the Nova Scotia Gambia Association. The mandate of this organization is to undertake initiatives that will help better the health care and human rights environments for the people of the Gambia, with a particular focus on youth. This summer, Erin is going to The Gambia to literally run across the country to raise money for this charity. She will cover 430km over 17 days in what will be very tough conditions, featuring extreme heat and extreme rain. Erin has been to The Gambia before and has donated her time and nursing skills to help the cause.


It will be an honour to not only run the marathon of my original home town, but to be a part of Erin's great team and help play a small role in making life better for those who live in the Gambia. As tough as life has been for me over the past few years in terms of financial situation, health care, and human rights, i can only image how much tougher it is for the people over there in the Gambia.


I have committed to raising at least $100 for this Charity. Whatever I don't raise, I will pay out of my own pocket. The main goal, however, is to raise as much money as possible. With this in mind, if you would like to make a donation, please visit the Jennifer McCreath Love4Gambia donation web site. Donations of $20 or more will get you an official tax credit receipt. You can donate via credit card at this secure website. If you would like to make a donation via cash or cheque, please e-mail me at jennifer.mccreath@yahoo.com for details.


Jenn

No comments: